So, no pictures of the kids right now, but here's some info about me and Micah--the TRUE love of my life. I know I get a little long-winded, but I think this is really fun (thanks, Emily!)
1. Where did you and your husband meet? We were in the same ward and apartment complex at BYU--BYU 105th Ward, King Henry Apts. (oh the memories). Although we both had lived there since the beginning of the school year, we never really interacted at all. Micah gave a talk in sacrament meeting (at Church) in January or February, and I was impressed. That afternoon after church, my roommates and I were looking at the ward directory and discussing the dating potential of all the guys in our ward. I mentioned Micah, and they agreed we'd make a good couple. That is when the "stalking" began.
2. First thing said? The very first time I met him was when my roomies and I were walking over to Kwanis Park for a ward FHE. Micah and his roommate Dan were walking there, too. While introducing ourselves I said I was from Louisville, correctly pronouncing it "Lou-a-vul" when they said, "you mean Louie-ville?" Micah tells the story that he thought I was weird for pronouncing it that way, but to be honest neither one of us remembered this meeting until after we started dating.
3.First date? Girls Preference dance, March 10, 2000. However, there is much more to the story before the first date. I mentioned stalking....well, Micah is an example of how men often don't notice anything. You see, after deciding I was interested in him on that Sunday I began strategically placing myself in his path. I said "hi" to him all the time when I didn't even really acknowledge him before, I started going to choir, I figured out his schedule and just "happened" to walk by him a lot (I know Jamie and I would wait for him to pass in the Eyring Science Center a few days a week, I would go to the same room he did to watch Devotionals, etc). He was totally oblivious to all of this. We were both in Social Dance, and I made a point to meet up with him at the Dance Lab. Still, no action on his part. You would think that he would get some kind of hint (it had been a few months by now), but not my Micah. (We laugh about it a lot).
By the time I asked him to Preference, it seemed that half the ward knew I liked him (I think he was started to realize it, too.) All of my roommates asked someone to the dance (and 3 of us ended up marrying our dates). This is sad, but I really can't remember where the dance was. I think we ate at Wingers, but I'm not even sure about that. I remember dancing to the song "I'll Be" and just being so elated that I was actually on a date with Micah. The next day I spent wondering if he liked me or not, and he dropped off a thank-you note the next night--wasn't that sweet? From then on, he finally started asking me out.
4. First kiss? We had had a fun date going to the park and taking pictures. He almost kissed me in the car but didn't think that was an appropriate place for a first kiss, so we drop up Provo Canyon and ended up at Nunn's Park. (Ironic name, huh?) It was weird because I totally new that we were driving up there so he could kiss me, but it was still sweet all the same. Obviously, I enjoyed myself.
5.When were "I love you's" said? Micah said it first, at the doorstep to my apartment one night. I honestly wasn't ready to say it back to him, and I told him that and he was okay with it. I think I ended up saying it like a week later.
6. Long or short courtship/engagement? We dated for 8 months, and were engaged for 5 1/2 months.
7. Where did you get engaged? We had gone up to visit Micah's parents in Oregon for Thanksgiving. (Actually, it was the first time I'd been to his house and I'd only met them briefly one other time.) It was the day before Thanksgiving and we had gone and cut down a huge Christmas tree and decorated it and just had a great day. Micah and I were up late, looking at the tree and talking, and he proposed right there on the couch. I was totally surprised because I didn't even know that he'd bought the ring yet. I was so excited that I called my mom before I could go to sleep, even though it was like 4 am in Kentucky. His whole family knew he was going to propose that night, and I am still impressed that they all kept it hidden from me, someone who is kind of hard to surprise!
8. Where did you get married? Louisville, Kentucky temple on a beautiful May day in 2001.
9. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We stayed in a little chalet called Abigail's Haven which was beautiful, visited the Smokey Mountains, shopped in Gatlinburg, and even went to Dolly Parton's Dixieland Stampede. It really is a great honeymoon spot.
10. Where did you make your first home? Provo, Utah...a one bedroom place close to campus. It was a great first place!
I tag everyone who hasn't done this yet!
3 comments:
I had totally forgotten about the stalking. I'm glad you posted this - it was really fun to read and remember. It's a pretty amazing story and I'm so glad it worked out! You guys are great together!
This is great...I was Micah's roomate (Jimmy) and I had no clue any of this happened. It's nice to finally get the real story all these years later. Go Shannon. And I just have to say we all had a great time at your wedding in Looyvill.
Jimmy
how funny... the stalking... yes, i remember that so clearly. that was fun! the things we do for the boys we think are cute!
Post a Comment